August 19, 2020
Good evening Mariner Families,
This is Ms. Doty with your Wednesday night Top 6 Things to know about upcoming school events.
1. Free and reduced lunch forms are available for those families that need them. We will include a paper copy in each child’s packet that will be distributed next week. I have also included a link to the online school lunch application in the email version of this message. The website is lunchapplication.com. After the first two weeks of school, families will only be provided with free meals at the feeding sites if they have applied and qualified for free or reduced lunch.
2. We are excited to offer curbside library book checkout. This will start the week of August 24th. For complete details visit the Perry Harrison library website or email Mrs. Spell.
3.We understand that many of you may have caregivers or childcare agencies that may be assisting your child with daily classwork. It is important for CCS staff to follow appropriate student information privacy guidelines. For this reason, we will not be able to provide your caregiver with any student information unless you specifically designate this on our release of information form. Simply adding the caregiver to the emergency contact in Powerschool does not give authority to release student confidential information. Once this form is received, the teacher can communicate directly with your caregiver. We will not be able to give your caregiver access to enter platforms or Zoom classrooms. Your caregiver would need to assist your child with accessing these resources through the student's log in account. The parent can share the account information with the caregiver. The teacher may share student account information with the caregiver only if a release form has been filled out. Thank you for your understanding. We stand ready to partner with you to ensure a successful school year for your child! You can access these release of student information forms here:
Estamos concientes de que muchos de ustedes pueden tener cuidadores o agencias de cuidado infantil que pueden ayudarle a su hijo(a) con el trabajo diario de clase. Es importante que el personal de CCS siga las directrices apropiadas de privacidad de la información de los estudiantes. Por ese motivo, no vamos a poder brindarle a su cuidador ninguna información del estudiante a menos que usted lo designe específicamente en nuestro formulario de divulgación de información. Una vez que este formulario es recibido, el maestro puede comunicarse directamente con su cuidador. Aunque, no podemos darle acceso a su cuidador para ingresar a plataformas o clases de Zoom. Su cuidador deberá ayudar a su hijo(a) a acceder a estos recursos a través de las cuentas de inicio de sesión del estudiante. El padre puede compartir la información de la cuenta con el cuidador. El maestro puede compartir la información de la cuenta con el cuidador sólo si se ha llenado un formulario de autorización. Gracias por su comprensión. Usted puede acceder a estos formularios de divulgación de información del estudiante aquí: Formulario de divulgación de información del estudiante de CCS (español)
4. Coffee with the Counselor: Parents, if you are interested in a time to get together over a zoom to come together to share with one another, collaborate on ways to help your children, and feel connected with parents from the PHE community, please join my weekly Zoom. Meetings will be every Wednesday from 8:00am-9:00am. Each week I will post a question for discussion. Looking forward to a new school year! A link is provided in the email version of this message.
5. The first 2 weeks of school, teachers will be focusing on setting norms and expectations for their classrooms, building a classroom community, teaching students how to use the various platforms and learning tools, and teaching district required social-emotional lessons given the challenges students have faced. More content heavy instruction will begin week three. These first two weeks will be critical to building a learning community for kids and to help them feel safe and welcome during a stressful time. We are committed to providing instructional opportunities for students both live and in a format students may review or access later. However, we received new legal advice this week related to online data privacy and security. In order to meet FERPA and other legal requirements, we will continue to investigate the most appropriate process for sharing recorded teacher-led sessions. We will update you on that process once it is finalized.
6. Finally, we are going to begin distributing student materials next week from 8am-11am then again from 1pm-3pm. On Monday, August 24th students with the last names A-F can pick up their materials. On Tuesday, August 25th, students with the last names G-M may pick their things up. And on Wednesday, August 26th, students with the last names N-Z may pick their materials up. Please contact our main office if those times do not work for you and we will try and accommodate.
Thank you and have a great evening.