Books and Information
May -- a good time to follow the advice of Neil Gaiman, author.
BOOK TRAILER: Harvey 's Time is Almost Up-- watch this BOOK trailer NOW!
See Mrs. Kreutzberg to check out this book.
Share your video about a favorite book and see it here on the Library page.
Databases are used by college students and other adults who do research and writing. You can teach yourself lots about databases by going to NC WiseOwl and begin by exploring what databases offer you. Be sure to see the feature to cite sources easily. Don't forget to narrow your search by types of sources (books, magazines, newspapers, professional journals), by current dates or any dates, or by social or informational tone.
***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****
19 year old Melvil Dewey created an organizational system for identifying books by subjects. Dewey's system was based on using whole numbers to identify the overall subject (see below). The decimals are good identifiers for specific details within the subjects. For Dewey, FICTION would fit into the category '800 Literature'.
21st century libraries place FICTION completely separated from the rest of the collection.
000 Generalities (General Works) 001 Knowledge, 002 Books
100 Philosophy and Psychology 135 Dreams
200 Religion 216 Good & evil
300 Social Sciences 361.2 Social action
(laws, social problems+issues)
400 Language 468 Standard Spanish usage
500 Natural Science and Mathematics 595.79 butterflies, moths
600 Applied Sciences and Technology 686 Printing & related activities
700 Fine Arts and Recreation 781.5 Kinds of music; 796 Athletic & ... games
800 Literature 810 American lit. in English; 861 Spanish poetry
900 Geography, History 973 United States; 930 History of ancient world
Reference books are on the wall near the glass office.
920 Collective (groups of people) biographies near the Library Office
921 Individual bio's + autobiographies right after the Collective biographies.Explore the amazing selection of DATABASES available to you:
* * * * * * Directions for NC WiseOwl: NC WiseOWL ⇐ Click
1. Click "High School".
2. Choose any heading that relates to your topic.
- example: Choose "SCIENCE" Then enter "cloning" or "environmental science" .
- another example: Go to "Student Resources in Context" --Enter Finland--- Look at the location, maps, info, languages
OR Click on the DATABASE "Academic Search Complete".
To use NC WISEOWL when not at school, you need INTERNET + the 2018-19 PASSWORD for both login+ pw.
Get the login and password from any teacher or the librarian, Mrs. Kreutzberg.
1. Purdue OWL Purdue University's website to help with writing = http://owl.english.purdue.edu/
2. EBSCO - hundreds of THOUSANDS OF research databases - No password is needed at school. When at home use the NC WiseOwl password.
Printing: Students cannot distance print at NHS; your Chromebook must be connected by cable to a copier.
1. Follow the 4 pages of directions for adding a copier to your Chromebook.
2. YOU will have to add each of the 4 copiers separetly.
3. Directions are on the tops of all copiers in library.
4. Problems? jammed? needs paper? an odd message? Do NOT push print again, again, again as that will slow all work down.
ASK the Tech Department for help: before school and the morning through around 12 and after 1.
5. COLOR PRINTING + students: Send your docs in an email to a teacher and ask that he/she print. Teachers will have to be in the libary to make copies. They must attach by cable to the color copier. Students may not use Library Office copiers--color or black and white.