Black History Month
The Library wants to help you learn more about Black Americans and the tragedies, the triumphs, the remarkable discoveries and inventions, the leadership of individuals who have lived before us. Come in and take out books from our display case and book shelf-- we'll be adding more books each week.
We have NEW books in the library--- come by and decide what to read next.
Reading can give you a chance to just quietly settle in this busy world of school. And some people think you can become a better person through reading.
Enjoy the Art Works Displayed
Students' work is from their recent show at NHS. Your peers have spent hours to create what we can view and enjoy.
Databases are used by college students and other adults who do research and writing. You can teach yourself lots about databases by going to NC WiseOwl and begin by exploring what databases offer you. Be sure to see the ability to have source citing done for you. Don't forget to narrow your search by types of sources (books, magazines, newspapers, professional journals), by recent or long distant years, by social or professional.
***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****
Dewey System for identifying books by subjects is named for Melvil Dewey who at age 19 developed this way of organizing subjects. His system would have put fiction in with literature, Libraries in North American keep fiction as a seperate section.
000 Generalities (General Works)
100 Philosophy and Psychology
300 Social Sciences (laws, social problems, social issues)
500 Natural Science and Mathematics
600 Applied Sciences and Technology
700 Fine Arts and Recreation
900 Geography, History
Reference books are on the wall near the glass office.
920 Collective biographies FOUND on the wall near check out desk
921 Individual bio's and autobiographies right after the Collective or group biographies.
1. Easy to use! Search in "Find".
2. Go to "Narrow search" (left side of the screen), scroll down to "Location" scroll across and choose "My school".
3. Look at the titles--to see more than the first 10 you see, look for the NEXT arrow (black+gray upper right).
- "ASK" means another Chatham HS has the book, not NHS.
- Want books from another high school? Ask me ! I can get them in a week for you to use and return h
- "IN", "OUT", "LOST" are other indicators about our books.
Come in to find books, return books, to talk about books. Glad to see you! Enjoy what you read!
Stay in the library until your work is done, get your pass signed to go back to class.
- Come to the library to quietly study, check-out books, work on projects, and print.
- Help keep bugs from swarming + the books/rug from damage: Food/drinks are not permitted.
- Keep your personal electronic devices in bookbags between the hours of 8:00 and 3:10.
- Bring a pass from any teacher to come in during 1st, 2, 3, 4th Periods or Plus 1.
* * * * * * Directions for NC WiseOwl: NC WiseOWL ⇐ Click
1. Click "High School".
2. Choose any heading that relates to your topic.
- example: Choose "SCIENCE" Then enter "cloning" or "environmental science" .
- another example: Go to "Student Resources in Context" --Enter Finland--- Look at the location, maps, info, languages
OR Click on the DATABASE "Academic Search Complete".
To use NC WISEOWL when not at school, you need INTERNET + the 2018-19 PASSWORD for both login+ pw.
Get the login and password from any teacher or the librarian, Mrs. Kreutzberg.
1. Purdue OWL Purdue University's website to help with writing = http://owl.english.purdue.edu/
2. EBSCO - hundreds of THOUSANDS OF research databases - No password is needed at school. When at home use the NC WiseOwl password.
Printing: Students cannot distance print at NHS; your Chromebook must be connected by cable to a copier.
1. Follow the 4 pages of directions for adding a copier to your Chromebook.
2. YOU will have to add each of the 4 copiers separetly.
3. Directions are on the tops of all copiers in library.
4. Problems? jammed? needs paper? an odd message? Do NOT push print again, again, again as that will slow all work down.
ASK the Tech Department for help: before school and the morning through around 12 and after 1.
5. COLOR PRINTING + students: Send your docs in an email to a teacher and ask that he/she print. Teachers will have to be in the libary to make copies. They must attach by cable to the color copier. Students may not use Library Office copiers--color or black and white.