We slid into this middle part of DECEMBER but we are not forgetting the
Light filled holidays in December
Chanukah or Hanukka or Hanukkah was celebrated with a Menorah filled with candles.
Christmas celebrates the birth of Christ with starlight and candles.
Kwanzaa celebrates living life as best we can and also with candles.
And wonderfully we have a vacation of almost 14 days!
Enjoy some quiet time to reflect the stars and candlelight of the holidays in your lives.
Books for the Holidays are waiting for you and choose a new bookmark and some candy as you read.
Drop by the library and look at the newest books. Check out 2 or 3 --up to 5 books. A-n-d--- if you like to read about the Holidays, drop by soon!
DECEMBER in the Library:
***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** Dewey System for finding books:
Reference books are on the wall near the great glass office.
920 Collective biographies FOUND on the wall near check out desk
921 Individual bio's and autobiographies " " " " " " " ".
1. Easy to use! Search in "Find".
2. Go to "Narrow search" (left side of the screen), scroll down to "Location" scroll across and choose "My school".
3. Look at the book titles--to see more than the first 10 you see, look for the NEXT arrow (black+gray upper right).
- "ASK" means another Chatham HS has the book, not NHS.
- Want books from another high school? Ask me as I can get them in a week for you to use and return h
- "IN", "OUT", "LOST" are other indicators about our books.
Come in to find books, return books, to talk about books. Glad to see you! Enjoy what you read!
Stay in the library until your work is done, get your pass signed to go back to class.
- Come to the library to quietly study, check-out books, and print.
- Help keep bugs from swarming + the books/rug from damage: Food/drinks are not permitted.
- Keep your personal electronic devices in bookbags between the hours of 8:00 and 3:10.
- Bring a pass from any teacher to come in during 1st, 2, 3, 4th Periods or Plus 1.
* * * * * We use the Dewey Decimal System to display books on shelves.
Fiction looks like this on the spines of books: FIC and the first 3 letters of the author's last name.
*****Look for the display of new books to NHS. Look for the display of Hispanic/Latino books on Sept.15th.
* * * * * * Directions for NC WiseOwl: NC WiseOWL ⇐ Click
1. Click "High School".
2. Choose any heading that relates to your topic.
- example: Choose "SCIENCE" Then enter "cloning" or "environmental science" .
- another example: Go to "Student Resources in Context" --Enter Finland--- Look at the location, maps, info, languages
OR Click on the "Academic Search Complete".
To use NC WISEOWL when not at school, you need INTERNET + the 2017-18 PASSWORD for both login+ pw.
Get the login and password from any teacher or the librarian, Mrs. Kreutzberg.
1. Purdue OWL Purdue University's website to help with writing = http://owl.english.purdue.edu/
2. EBSCO - hundreds of research databases - No password is needed at school. When at home use the NC WiseOwl password.
Printing: Students cannot distance print at NHS; your Chromebook must be connected by cable to a copier.
1. Follow the 4 pages of directions for adding a copier to your Chromebook.
2. YOU will have to add each of the 4 copiers separetly.
3. Directions are on the tops of all copiers in library.
4. Problems? jammed? needs paper? an odd message? Do NOT push print again, again, again as that will slow all work down.
Library students and Mrs. Kreutzberg will help; come to us and ask.
5. COLOR PRINTING + students: Send your docs in an email to a teacher and ask that he/she print. Teachers will have to be in the libary to make copies. They must attach by cable to the color copier. Students may not use Library Office copiers--color or black and white.