Parents Are Important
Chatham Middle School's administration and staff appreciate the importance of parents in a child's success. Research shows that parents have a major influence on student achievement. When parents are involved, regardless of income or background, children are more likely to earn higher grades and test scores, enroll in higher-level programs, attend school regularly, have better social skills, show improved behavior, graduate, and go on to college.
How can I help my child?
- Set an example by reading at home and engaging in other learning activities
- Play games together that require planning ahead and problem solving (ex. Scrabble, Dominoes), rather than pure luck (ex. The Game of Life)
- Communicate openly
- Express high but realistic expectations for achievement
- Encourage your child to work hard in school
- Regularly discuss education, careers, life skills, and interests
- Regularly affirm your child's personal worth through positive messages