New Schools Homepage
Growth in Chatham Presentation
A Message from the Superintendent
This site will be used to provide a one-stop location to make information about proposed new schools within the Chatham County School System available to the public. Within this site, you will find files related to growth projections, proposed schematics, site plats for land, and information around the processes used for site selection. As new information related to the construction of new schools and/or additions to existing schools is presented, we will make it available to you through this website.
We invite you to peruse the information provided, and we look forward to sharing future updates as they become available. In the meantime, if you have any specific questions, please contact Mr. Chris Blice, Chief Operations Officer, at 919-542-3626.Sincerely,Dr. Derrick D. JordanSuperintendent
Chatham County Schools on the Horizon
Two Chatham County Schools facilities — a high school and an elementary school — have been approved for construction in the Chatham County Capital Improvement Program. The schools would meet both projected growth in student population in the eastern half of the county without Chatham Park and help absorb expected student growth from the mixed-use development. Additional schools would be built as needed, offsetting potential student growth from Chatham Park.
New High School
• projected to open in the fall of 2021 on Seaforth Road, off U.S. Highway 64, on the western side of Jordan Lake
• 1,200-student classroom capacity; 1,400-student core capacity
• sited to meet both current and future student growth both in the northeast quadrant of Chatham County and the eastern side of Jordan Lake
• specifics are forthcoming on the attendance zone that is expected to offset growth in a portion of Northwood High School’s attendance zone
• Northwood’s attendance zone accounts for nearly 1,400 students; projections call for around 1,550 students by the fall of 2021 and nearly 2,300 students by the start of the 2026-27 academic year
New Elementary School
• projected to open in the fall of 2020 on Andrews Store Road, near Pollard Middle School
• expected to serve about 750 students in pre-kindergarten through fifth grade
• sited to meet both current and future growth in the county’s northeast quadrant
• specifics are forthcoming on the attendance zone that is expected to offset growth for Perry Harrison, North Chatham and possibly Pittsboro elementary schools
Chatham Park is expected to generate approximately 7,600 Chatham County students from all grade levels by the time the last house is completed 30 years from now. That growth would require around 11 new schools, which could include private, parochial, charter and traditional public schools. The initial Chatham Park development (Northern Village) will be located along U.S. Highway 15-501, just north of U.S. Highway 64 Business. Students generated by the first phase of Chatham Park would go to Pittsboro Elementary, Horton Middle School and Northwood. That will provide time to determine when and where to open additional Chatham County Schools inside Chatham Park in order to meet the need there.