Free and reduced-priced meals

  • Chatham County Schools participates in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP), which is a federally assisted meals program operating in both public and nonprofit private schools, as well as residential childcare institutions. The program provides nutritionally balanced, low-cost, free lunches to children each school day. The program was established under the National School Lunch Act that President Harry Truman signed in 1946.
    Children from households meeting federal income guidelines are eligible for free or reduced-priced meals. Families may apply to participate in the program at any time during the school year.
    Applications are available at school cafeterias or at the School Nutrition Services Department in the school district's main offices at 369 West Street in Pittsboro. 
    Only one application per family is required. 
    In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. 


    Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.


    To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992.  Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:


    (1)        mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture

    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

    1400 Independence Avenue, SW

    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;


    (2)        fax: (202) 690-7442; or


    (3)        email:


    This institution is an equal opportunity provider.