• NCDPI Lateral Entry Teacher Information


    How to become a Lateral Entry Teacher

    Step 1: Qualify

    Lateral Entry License: Allows skilled individuals outside of the public education system to enter the teaching profession while completing an approved program.  All new Lateral Entry teachers are REQUIRED by law to complete a ten day training prior to taking over teaching responsibilities. Lateral entry licensure requirements must be met within three years.  In order to qualify for a Lateral Entry license, individuals must have at least a Bachelor’s degree from a Regionally Accredited college or university AND


    • Relevant Degree (except for Elementary Education and Exceptional Children) OR
    • 24 semester hours of course work in the core area (except for Elementary Education and Exceptional Children) OR
    • Passing PRAXIS II subject assessment scores for the licensure area or The American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL-only for World Languages except English) 



    • 2.5 GPA OR
    • Five years of relevant experience that occurred after Bachelor’s degree OR
    • Passing PRAXIS I scores or a total SAT score of 1100 or a total ACT score of 24 PLUS one of the following:
    • 3.0 GPA in the major field of study or
    • 3.0 GPA in all courses in senior year or
    • 3.0 GPA on a minimum of 15 semester hours of courses completed within the last five years


      To qualify for a Lateral Entry license in Elementary Education or Exceptional Children (Teacher of Record positions), the PRAXIS II subject assessment and Pearson tests must be met prior to employment.

      To qualify for a Lateral Entry license in English As a Second Language you must have either 24 semester hours in English, Linguistics, a degree in English or the PRAXIS II. 

      Once a license is established, the holder must either associate with a college or university with an approved education program in the area of licensure OR submit their credentials to the Regional Alternative Licensing Center (RALC).  Either agency should outline a program of study of which the licensed individual must complete a minimum of six semester hours each year in order to be eligible for re-employment. (Note: Whether or not employment continues in a North Carolina school system, the lateral entry license holder must complete all requirements within the three year period.)


    In order for you to obtain a Lateral Entry License in the state of NC, you must meet the state’s requirements found online at: http://www.ncpublicschools.org/licensure/lateral/.  If you have further questions about whether or not you qualify to obtain a Lateral Entry License, contact our Chatham County Schools Licensure Specialist, Diane Sloan, at (919) 542-3626 or dsloan@chatham.k12.nc.us. Once hired, Chatham County Schools will facilitate the process of applying for your Lateral Entry License.


    Step 2: Application

    Once you have determined that you qualify for a license, you need to obtain a teaching position within Chatham County Schools. To do this, submit an online application.


    Step 3: Meet with CCS Licensure Specialist

    If you are hired as a lateral entry teacher, you must meet with Diane Sloan, Licensure Specialist.


    Step 4: Clearing Your License

    You have 3 years to obtain a NC Standard Professional Teaching License.  You must:

    • Affiliate yourself with a college or university licensure program.  Almost all NC higher education institutions have licensure only programs.
    • Submit your transcripts to Diane Sloan, Licensure Specialist.  The RALC will prescribe a Program of Study.  You may fulfill each requirement by selecting when and where to take each required course.