April is a month with many worthy organizations and conditions. NHS Library Media Center is focussing on these six:
1. Human Rights Week 4/1--5/2019.
2. World Health Day 4/7
3. Earth Day 4/22
4. Autuism Awareness Month
5. Child Abuse Awareness Month
6. Celebrate How Wonderful Life Is!
We will be displaying hundreds of books-- come in and check out two or three. Enjoy, learn, and share information about the six diverse and important focuses in April.
Come in and take out books from our display case and book shelf-- we'll be adding more books each week.
We have NEW books in the library--- come by and decide what to read next.
Enjoy the Art Works Displayed in the Library.
Students' work is a a reminder of how successful teenagers are. Your peers have spent hours to create what we can view and enjoy.
Books and Information
BOOK TRAILER: Harvey 's Time is Almost Up-- watch this BOOK trailer NOW!
See Mrs. Kreutzberg to check out this book.
Share your video about a favorite book and see it here on the Library page.
Databases are used by college students and other adults who do research and writing. You can teach yourself lots about databases by going to NC WiseOwl and begin by exploring what databases offer you. Be sure to see the feature to cite sources easily. Don't forget to narrow your search by types of sources (books, magazines, newspapers, professional journals), by current dates or any dates, or by social or informational tone.
***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****
19 year old Melvil Dewey created an organizational system for identifying books by subjects. Dewey's system was based on using whole numbers to identify the overall subject (see below). The decimals are good identifiers for specific details within the subjects. For Dewey, FICTION would fit into the category '800 Literature'.
21st century libraries place FICTION completely separated from the rest of the collection.
000 Generalities (General Works) 001 Knowledge, 002 Books
100 Philosophy and Psychology 135 Dreams
200 Religion 216 Good & evil
300 Social Sciences 361.2 Social action
(laws, social problems+issues)
400 Language 468 Standard Spanish usage
500 Natural Science and Mathematics 595.79 butterflies, moths
600 Applied Sciences and Technology 686 Printing & related activities
700 Fine Arts and Recreation 781.5 Kinds of music; 796 Athletic & ... games
800 Literature 810 American lit. in English; 861 Spanish poetry
900 Geography, History 973 United States; 930 History of ancient world
Reference books are on the wall near the glass office.
920 Collective (groups of people) biographies near the Library Office
921 Individual bio's + autobiographies right after the Collective biographies.
1. Easy to use! Search in "Find".
2. Go to "Narrow search" (left side of the screen), scroll down to "Location" scroll across and choose "My school".
3. Look at the titles--to see more than the first 10 you see, look for the NEXT arrow (black+gray upper right).
- "ASK" means another Chatham HS has the book, not NHS.
- Want books from another high school? Ask me ! I can get them in a week for you to use and return h
- "IN", "OUT", "LOST" are other indicators about our books.
Come in to find books, return books, to talk about books. Glad to see you! Enjoy what you read!
Stay in the library until your work is done, get your pass signed to go back to class.
- Come to the library to quietly study, check-out books, work on projects, and print.
- Help keep bugs from swarming + the books/rug from damage: Food/drinks are not permitted.
- Keep your personal electronic devices in bookbags between the hours of 8:00 and 3:10.
- Bring a pass from any teacher to come in during 1st, 2, 3, 4th Periods or Plus 1.
* * * * * * Directions for NC WiseOwl: NC WiseOWL ⇐ Click
1. Click "High School".
2. Choose any heading that relates to your topic.
- example: Choose "SCIENCE" Then enter "cloning" or "environmental science" .
- another example: Go to "Student Resources in Context" --Enter Finland--- Look at the location, maps, info, languages
OR Click on the DATABASE "Academic Search Complete".
To use NC WISEOWL when not at school, you need INTERNET + the 2018-19 PASSWORD for both login+ pw.
Get the login and password from any teacher or the librarian, Mrs. Kreutzberg.
1. Purdue OWL Purdue University's website to help with writing = http://owl.english.purdue.edu/
2. EBSCO - hundreds of THOUSANDS OF research databases - No password is needed at school. When at home use the NC WiseOwl password.
Printing: Students cannot distance print at NHS; your Chromebook must be connected by cable to a copier.
1. Follow the 4 pages of directions for adding a copier to your Chromebook.
2. YOU will have to add each of the 4 copiers separetly.
3. Directions are on the tops of all copiers in library.
4. Problems? jammed? needs paper? an odd message? Do NOT push print again, again, again as that will slow all work down.
ASK the Tech Department for help: before school and the morning through around 12 and after 1.
5. COLOR PRINTING + students: Send your docs in an email to a teacher and ask that he/she print. Teachers will have to be in the libary to make copies. They must attach by cable to the color copier. Students may not use Library Office copiers--color or black and white.